7/25/2010

The Comic Convention!

So the week was a pretty normal one ending in Market Day. That is the students put on a play and then can buy little items with Jungchul or "school money". Things like miniature packs of cards, Yu-gi-oh cards, games, baseballs, pens and so on.

On Thursday I went out with... I am just going to say Moses my "Co-teacher" for relative ease since saying a Korean English teacher that I work with is just too long and convoluted.
So The first dish arrives which is a plate of honey chicken and I was worried that was it but no a big bowl of noodles came to eat it with which were great! Considering I am not a fan of western style noodles I really enjoyed the taste and texture of these Korean noodles and I was thinking that boy this was going to be quite a meal. Then came a huge plate of rice with more noodles, cabbage and a massive cheese pork steak. This added to the usual side dishes like kimchi and onions made for a hugely satisfying meal. I was also reminded that the meal is not over or complete until the rice appears. So for 18,500 won (being 9,250 per person to be stuffed) I was very satisfied as it was my shout (or treat) and we sure had our full.

But what I was waiting for this whole week was the Comic Con. I was dissapointed that this year I would miss the Auckland New Zealand event called Aramageddon http://armageddonexpo.com/nz/ (which also has events in Wellington and Christchurch as well as in Australia).
I thought to myself a couple of weeks back that there must be something like it in Korea and low and behold with a little scratching around on the web I found a forum linking me to the event.
So I made it there after a good ride on the subway which surfaces right where the event was being held (Setec event centre Hangnyeoul Subway exit) and you couldn't miss it for all the crazy cos-play kids and just masses of people.
After about an hour of standing in line I paid for my $4,000 won ticket. Yes around $5 NZ not the $20 or $18 that it costs back home but $5.
So as at any event you will see a handful (and this time it was literally a handful) of foreigners but once again I was in the absolute minority with thousands and thousands of Korean's mostly young teenagers but still a variety of ages. There were two halls of little comic stalls where you could buy comics and all sorts of nick knacks from cell phone charms, clocks, mugs, ties, stickers, pens, stamps to posters. I did end up purchasing 2 art books which I thought were of excellent artistic quality. So there was at least a couple of hundred stalls of these comic things. There was also an event stage set up for I guess cos-play competition and singing but I went outside for a wander about and that's where I saw most of the costumes. I thought that it wasn't a bad turn out of people dressed up and after looking around decided to go for a walk down to the river. This is where I ran into cos-play madness! The majority of the people dressed up were not at the comic event showing off but under the bridge at the river. Hundreds of costumes with people being artistically photographed by professional photographers and generally just hanging out having a good time. This is where I saw one of my students who I thought I would see there as she is amazingly artistic.

Photobucket

So over all I had a good time, purchased some quality artwork (for quite cheap 9,000 and 6,000 won) met a lot of people who were very good speakers of English and then it was off to Itaewon to have Taco Bell and buy a hat.

So I managed to have Taco Bell Buy my hat nothing else spectacular to report and then I thought I have enough time to go explore Sinchon for a bit. This appears to be the medical capital for Universities and the University I saw was massive. I only had about 2 or so hours to look around so I am definitely planning to go back and take more photos as the camera's battery died yet again :(
Still there was one interesting club that I saw called Pharaoh which quite possibly may be worth a visit as it looks quite impressive from the outside.

Photobucket

Well i have blown out my 200 photo limit for my flickr account so have had to set up another one (shhh don't tell anybody) which kind of means I have to make a new link next week detailing all my pictures taken to date "Part 2". A little inconvenient but I can accommodate that.

So here is this weeks slide show:


And since I am on a martial arts buzz:

No comments:

Post a Comment