7/04/2010

R16 B-Boy Korea 2010!

Success! After working out how to get there by bus and trusting my instincts in terms of where to get off to transfer to the next bus and then where to get off at Olympic park, I made it.

I initially spent the early part of the day walking around Olympic park (not all of it) looking at the art sculptures. I will have to go back at some stage as I barely saw any of the park.

I then headed down to the main entrance and then to the river walkway to view the street art that was being created there. A couple of exceptional pieces were being created.

I must say though that the organisers should look seriously at sign posting where things are next time. The information desk did not speak English when I was there and I eventually had to follow 2 staff members who had to ask the drinks stand where the B-Boy event was as they could not find it themselves!

I guess there was some confusion as the event coincided with Usher. Yes OMG.

So I made it to the Gymnastic Stadium (I think) and Foreigners had the VIP treatment. I got in free because I had a Foreigners Exchange Ticket with proof of my Visa. I'm sure I did not even need that as I could just go where ever I wanted whilst the local fans had to wait for the doors to open.

I was amazed at the number of people who turned out for the 1st day as it was almost full by the time the main show started.

It was an interesting show and I met an Asian girl from New York who is an aspiring B-Girl working (an intern-ship) in Korea for a bank.
The main show was from 6pm to 9pm and contained the usual Poppin battles, Locking battles and of course the B-Boy battles (of which I have the most video footage) which were amazing and you will see some of the crazy moves in my video.



There was also a show of traditional Korean dance / music mixed in with a B-Boy flavour and a show of Martial Arts. This is where my camera battery ended is life and so I only captured half of what happened.


I seriously need a new camera though as I would like better video quality, a longer battery life and better picture quality as well. So I will have to look around for a while and just deal with my little Olympus for a while yet.

Sunday I went to Itaewon. I think this trip needs a post all unto itself so I will post what happened when I ventured out there later in the week.

Here is the flickr slide show:


I think this is media overload for this post so another interesting video will be posted next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment