8/14/2010

Electronics Yongsan, Techno Mart & Kukje Electronic Center Part 1/2 14 Aug

So as it were I had been having trouble with my camera. The thing was it had problems with the lens retraction. So I had to find out if it was the battery or not. So trip one to Techno Mart was to find another battery. Upon testing it was the camera that was broken so I spent 5,000 won on a quality made Japanese screwdriver, (this is the only way I could justify spending that much was that it must have been of a really good quality) sat in McDonalds and proceeded to take my camera apart. After about 40 minutes I had the whole thing in pieces and had worked out it was the tiny cogs that were misaligned. I put everything back together and the camera appeared to work perfectly. However I later discovered that no image would display in real time on the monitor so after numerous deconstructions and reconstructions the camera works again except there is dirt or dust on the inside of the lens requiring another rebuild... ahhh.

So here in-lies the excuse for a new camera. Now like most people I like to get a good deal but probably most people would not spend 8 hours getting that deal. Yes I started out at Yongsan looking at 2 - 3 models, a Canon 500D or 550D and a Sony Nex 5. I have been told never to accept the first deal going so I went from one store to another progressively getting cheaper and better deals. I decided to travel to Techno Mart (half way across Seoul from Yongsan) to get another set of prices and boy were they expensive. The were charging 910,000 won for a standard Sony Nex 5 package and 950,000 for a Canon 500D body... no lens.
After travelling back to Yongsan I approached the first vendor I had visited that morning and told him the best offer of the day and that since I had visited him first that day I was going to give him the option of matching it. He couldn't (it was on the Sony model) however he got me interested in the Canon 500D. We sat down and negotiated for a while and he came up with a deal which was good but I could not afford I told him. He asked how much I was willing to spend and it was the same as the best deal of the day so far so after a little readjustment of terms I walked away with a Canon 500D with an upgraded 28 - 90mm zoom lens, a free lens filter, cleaning kit, 4Gig memory card and a camera bag all for 870,000 won which is quite reasonable as the camera also shoots video in full HD. Oh this is a hard cash price by the way.

So if you are looking for a camera, computer, TV or perhaps even an mp3 player I think you will find the best deal at Yongsan I-Park Mall or perhaps over the back of the subway station.

I also visited Smoothie King while I was there. I was under the impression it was just a milk shake joint but it is not. You can buy protein shakes and all sorts of health shakes there. In fack I believe you can also buy protein powder there! www.smoothieking.co.kr

Anyway Techno Mart.
Line 2 get off at Gangbyeon take exit 1 and tou will see it across the road. Either cross the road or go underground to get there. There are 2 lower floors of clothing, a book store and general stuff and then 8, 9, 10? floors of electronic stuff.
If you have been looking for PC games in Korea and cannot find a place that sells them go to the top floor and toward the far right wall (getting off the escalator) you will see DVD sellers. If you do you are on the right track. Look for the big pink PC sign and there you have it.
I found Eddie on the bottom floor of Techno Mart (the guy in the top picture up there).

Kukje Electronic Centre.
Line 3 get off at Nambu Bus Terminal take exit 3 and walk straight out. You will see a very large building. That's it.
More of the same about 10 or so floors of electronics. The top floor however has Xbox, Playstation, Wii and also toys... yes some toys and models! One of the stores was so epic it even had 1980's/90's wrestling figures!

So here is some Techno Mart and some random things:



A rather plain old look at Techno Mart:


Also here is something for your entertainment

The original


The Remix

3 comments:

  1. hahahaha LMFAO this is just gold!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have any advice for getting a camera in Yongsan? Or at least for negotiating for one? Do the vendors speak much English or should you just approach their offers with sad faces and hope they lower the price?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice for getting a camera in Yongsan is to visit a number of the shops/vendors and see what prices are on offer. They all speak English and are very persuasive assuring you no one else has a better price until you point out to them that someone has a better price and then they will either try to one up it with “extras” or match it.

    You have to walk away otherwise you will be talked into something you dont really want or need. One other bit of advice is know which camera or camera models you want and have a clear range of what you are willing to spend. Also it is quite alright to counter offer and haggle but you need a little knowledge of the market and thats why visiting several shops before heavy negotiation is recommended.

    Have fun!
    rawrkorea

    ReplyDelete