9/05/2010

China Town Incheon Seoul

Typhoon Kompasu tore through Korea this week leaving moderate damage where I live; knocking over fences, uprooting some plants and tossing a few roof tiles but nothing major. I was under the impression that the worst was going to hit in the afternoon but the high winds came and went between 5:30 and 6:30 odd in the morning so I have nothing exciting to report on the matter.

However this weekend I just happened to have a brain wave on Friday and thought to look up the local China Town. Sure enough there is one in Incheon. Taking line 1 and transferring at Guro I made it to the end of the line (cue Traveling Wilburys music... maybe if your that old). Walking straight out of the station with a slight right adjustment you will see the main gate. Directly to the left of you is the information booth which is good for a map.

China town begins with some stores with typical Chinese ornamental pieces and some really nice Dragon carvings... except I have nowhere to put one here... the street transforms near the top to mainly restaurants mixed in with more little shops and stalls. There are a few places to visit and see the gates and statues. Things are generally uphill and on a hot sunny day it might pay to wear some sunscreen as I got a slight burn! There are maps posted all around so you will be able to navigate the attractions and find General Macarthur's statue right at the top of the hill. If you continue on past the statue following the path around and behind which leads down to a final resting place with another 3 people on battle pose you will see a road that comes up the hill turns right at the top and continues on. If you follow this around and find some steep wide steps heading down to what looks like some shopping area you will be heading toward "Rodeo Road" a small fashion district perhaps akin to "Rodeo Drive" well perhaps.

Photobucket

From here just wander around (I headed left and kept going until I saw another large gate on the opposite side of the road then took the little alleyway directly left on the side of the road I was on... confused?... well it ended up in what looked like some trendy clothes and bar area climbing the hill passing a school with "hello's" and "Hi's" at 2.30pm I ended up doing a full circuit of the hill. I got back into China Town just in time for some Lion and Dragon Dancing.


It was quite long but it had its "oooohhhh and ahhhh" factors.

I decided to do something a little different with some of my pictures this week and put together a Youtube slide show video.


I also have some other random pictures here:


I also found and had my first corn ice cream with little bits of corn in it. It was surprisingly nice. However I did not take a picture of it because I blew out my memory card of 4Gig with the movies and pictures taken for that day!

Sunday I had my first delivery meal. My new friend and I ordered Chinese and cost 11,000 won and to be honest it couldn't be finished by 2 people. So if you are interested in how this works you can order to basically anywhere in the delivery region. The come in with a big metal suitcase looking thing which contains the bowls and utensils. Upon finishing your meal you simply pack up all the bowls and things and leave it outside for them to pick up later.

Photobucket

A couple of more things to end on:

Photobucket

"Let's Cooking"
"A lovely girls happy is full of sweets".... "Yam!"

This reminded me of the Tom Green clip where he is in Japan so I will share that with you if you please:


And finally for all you K-Pop fans out there... I stumbled upon the mashup mix of the best songs for the first part of 2010. I know you will enjoy this :)



No comments:

Post a Comment