11/21/2010

Winter = Cold & Sick

So this week I got hit hard by some kind of sickness and I am at the very end of it now. The difference between getting sick in new Zealand and getting sick here is that you can feel the sickness creeping up on you in New Zealand and it usually takes a while to take hold and then a while to get rid of. In Korea its more like you turn around and wham you get hit by a bus. You really don't feel that sick i.e. you don't feel drowsy but you sure cant stand up in the classroom for very long and it takes a long time to get out of bed and try to get going in the morning. I did have a bit of a runny nose and a small cough but the worst of it was the rest of my body was just so fatigued that it was very confusing and just downright tiring. However I had a little help with some medication, food and clothing that a Korean angel sorted me out with so I survived.

So that being said I didn't get up to too much this week apart from a couple of meals and a long rest. But if you want to see a few photo's of what Korea looks like now keep scrolling down. I will be taking more photos this week as the scenery has turned from lush green to what appears to be a dead battle ground in some parts. Its an amazing transformation... well for me anyway having never been in this kind of climate for winter.

But first I went out on Tuesday for lunch (or was taken) to a traditional Korean restaurant to have many a spicy dish. Now I cant really tell you what this was like because by the afternoon and evening I was pretty down with this illness. But here is a photo of some shredded jellyfish and other dishes.

Photobucket

Saturday we rocked it to Pizza Hill. Now I have to mention Pizza Hill because its right next to Walker Hill Hotel and not only has amazing views but where else can you get a 50,000 won pizza? Well here it is with a 15,000 won salad :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

All right well winter is coming and some days it is very cold and other days its not too bad. One thing I have noticed however its not like a New Zealand cold. It something you would expect up a mountain. The air is dry and the cold is like being in a freezer box. If you are wearing a big warm jacket, a couple of pairs of socks and thermals you will feel cozy but every bit of exposed skin will be literally freezing like the hung meat at the butchers. So if you are just about to head over here be aware that it is cold and bring some serious winter equipment.

This is what it looks like here now:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Yes this is the sun at about 4:30 pm

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And this is my favourite picture although it was only taken with my phone which I regret...

Photobucket

And for all who remember a few weeks back I was going to post a picture of my jacket.. well one of them... here it is:

Photobucket

Well being sick for 4 or 5 days has not been easy and I have had a TV show to keep me company for the long hours in bed. If you don't know the Trailer Park Boys... shame on you. This is quality Canadian television... :) Check out a clip for yourselves:


Now you too can "rock some Mitchell"

No comments:

Post a Comment