6/12/2010

1st Week of Work

Well the fist week of work went quite fast and surprisingly well.
I am teaching for about 18 hours a week and the rest of the time is preparation.

It is kind of difficult as the rooms do not have internet access on the computers (or I have not figured out if I need some kind of card or something) so I will have to try and find some games I can put on my flash drive. maybe some music clips or short video clips that are relevant.

A few interesting Korean things:

1. People drive around in open back little trucks with loud speakers advertising that they have onions, oranges, potatoes, fish and whatever else. They stop on the side of the road just about anywhere and sell it. This is a fantastic way to wake up in the morning!

2. Almost everyone has a cute little pin cushion, animal or just a plain plaque on the dashboard of their car. This is so when they park behind you, across you or on top of you then you can give them a friendly call to come and move their car.
I have not seen any parking wardens about, in fact I have not seen any pay and display street parking.
Being a pedestrian here is dangerous with bikes, scooters, cars, buses all competing for fatalities. Don't think that that Zebra crossing will save you either. But I still enjoy the slow down courteous toot of the horn of little bikes to remind people not to step out too soon.

3. Had lunch at McDonalds an equivalent to a large Big Mac Combo for $4,100 won and then I had a roll of Pork Kim Bap or Sushi later on for 2,000 won! But not everything is so cheap and you definitely need to know where to go for good deals.

Made my fist Bulgolgi meal this week with Bulgolgi from the supermarket and some microwave rice.

Met 5 westerners outside a convenience store on Wednesday. Got talking to them and found out they do Taekwondo not far from where I live so I got their number and when I get paid it will be Taekwondo for me!
Also met the girl downstairs (April) who is from Florida and has been here 3 months. So we discussed how to get rid of the rubbish and how neither of us knew how to really work the washing machine.

Raining here today. First time it has rained in Guri since I have been here. I dont have an umbrella or anything water proof... hmmm I hope tomorrow is fine enough to be able to go out and find one somewhere...

Soccer world cup tonight. May see the game, or may not depending on how wet it gets here.

Click on the following links for pictures and video content!



No comments:

Post a Comment