6/25/2010

Wow so big week and still more of it to come! I was a little disappointed with the 3:30am turn out in the streets for the South Korea v Nigeria game as it seemed that very few people were out locally but City Hall and Samgseong were still pumping. I guess that's why I have reached a decision to venture into the heart of Seoul tomorrow to experience the Soccer fever and join in with the sea of red shirts cheering on our national team. Notice I said "our" national team and I don't mean the All Whites. So perhaps if everything pans out it will be South Korea v USA in stage 3?

This week was my medical exam so I was x-rayed poked, prodded, drained of blood and was used for some amusement by Moses who took me there as the Korean speaker. It seems that he told the nurse that he could not speak English and that she (being somewhat fluent in English) had to explain to me that I needed to pee in a cup. It appeared that this was of great amusement and embarrassment to all involved but it all ended well.
After that we went to a restaurant as I had been fasting since 12am and needed a good meal to revitalise my depleted body. Sum geh tung was on the menu (as you will see in the photo slide show). Basically it is a whole chicken boiled up in a pot and it comes out to the table still boiling. The meat slides off the bone and you eat it in a side bowl with of course kimchi and other table assortments. Once finished you then progress to taking the bones out of the chicken soup, add a little salt and dig down deep into the base of rice at the bottom. This is quite a meal and certainly is a good one for vitality.
Whilst waiting for our meal to settle we witnessed a couple of female patrons fighting over who was going to pay the bill (I should have taken a video of this but I am sure there will be other opportunities). By fighting I don't mean arguing I mean physically pushing each other and wrestling each other away from the cashier. Judging by the empty bottles of rice wine at their table I guess they were a little excited... at lunchtime.

I have a load more to write about but I shall leave it for later in addition to my World Cup Soccer post which I hope to have up later in the weekend.

I shall leave you for now with a small flickr slide show and a short video of sights on my street.



Please also check out http://www.howtodestroyangels.com/store/ where I obtained this music. They have a free high quality download available here. If you are unfamiliar with Nine Inch Nails or Trent Reznor he promotes the collective commons and releases music for free which leads to people like me buying concert tickets to see the show live.
Here is the video to "The space in between".


Also as a bonus this week I found a video I laughed at... thats right me laughing at something is quite uncommon. Just watch the tiger looking guy on the left in the background :)

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Waynes Asia survival Rule No.2
    When eat tap sumg bong, make sure you know it chicken. Everting taste like chicken with a goo dose of msg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you post a clip of your apartment...I'm keen on seeing the living conditions cos from reading whats online there are some true horror stories of leaky buildings etc...Interested in coming for a year and reading about your blog is definitely making Korea look very appealing :)

    ReplyDelete