6/19/2010

Ahhhhh! Can I get some sleep around here? Had a couple of noisy nights. Wednesday consisted of a guy in his shed banging and grinding something and then a surprise 3am phone call from an American woman wanting to talk to some aid organisation. Thursday was a couple of cats screaming at each other; even one of the dogs somewhere up the road woke up and started telling them to shut the hell up.
Crying babies, motorcycles, trucks and people are the norm at all hours but its just the unusual sounds that become annoying.

So this weeks mission was to find the plane church. That's right a church in a plane. I read something about this here: http://wikitravel.org/en/Deokso unfortunately it gives you no directions and just some vague idea about how long it takes to walk to from the subway station. Lucky you have the self confessed research king on the case. It is more like 30 - 35 min to walk at a good pace and here is how to get there: (I drew in a more direct route)

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is what you will see when you get across the bridge at the end of town:

Photobucket

I may even have to link this page to those sites lacking in this information just so people can have the viewing pleasure of this if they so wish to seek it out.

So I took a video from the upper level of McDonalds which overlooks an intersection in Deokso (about 5 minutes walk from where I work). This phenomenon seems to occur all over Namyangju and perhaps all over South Korea; a Zebra (or perhaps we are meant to think it was a Zebra) has randomly rolled around painting white lines on the road... perhaps as a practical joke because as you will see it doesn't seem to mean the same as the same marking in other countries.


I went to McDonalds for my weekly visit today and I made a little more progress as they spoke to me in English and I answered in basic Korean so that is 100% better than my first week here, just a whole lot more to go but I have taken the first few steps.

I also managed to find Malgeumee and Purumee the Namyangju mascots. You can see pictures of them on the top of street lights and to my surprise I believe I found them sitting in a tree also!

Photobucket

Soccer fever! TV come out from every corner and appear on every street corner or in amongst apartment blocks and people are out in the street cheering on the Red's. I will go out and about to take some footage but it looks like the next game is at 3:30am on Tuesday morning sooooo maybe but I am sure South Korea will make it with Argentina from their group so there will be more opportunities. But for now I will give you a little taste courtesy of http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/ (Thanks Simon and Martina!):


Well Im sure to have more adventures this weekend. I am in the process of making a "random things Korea"! video so stay posted it may turn up in a week or two but there will be other interesting videos in the mean time.

Until then.... check out the slide show of this weeks photos by clicking the following link:


And... here is the video of the moment!


1 comment:

  1. Uncle Wayne's Asian Survival Rule No1.
    Dont cross road when light green, in Aisa, red mean go, organge mean go faster and green mean free for all.

    ReplyDelete